Tuesday, November 15, 2011

No More Sparkly Vampires!

I'm not hating on Twilight, though I do think the fan base has reached a scary level.  Let me start by saying I have not read the books.  I have watched the films.  I neither loved them as the rabid fans do, nor hated them as many of my friends claim to.  Actually, I rather doubt my friends have bothered to watch them.  The thought of sparkly vampires plum scared them off.  All I'm saying is we've had enough angst-ridden, self-loathing, sadly gorgeous vampires for the time being.  It's not sad that they're gorgeous.  That's ok by me.  It's sad that they're always so sad.

I have read Anne Rice.  And she's the grandmother of modern vampires.  There's plenty of depression and questioning why so-in-so has to be so monstrous.  But she kind of makes up for it with the book The Vampire Lestat.  He's a pretty different vision of the character from Interview with the Vampire.  Lestat takes things as they come and enjoys himself.  Well, why not?  He's a vampire!

What I really want are classic vampires.  They don't want to date you or rescue you.  They want to drink your blood.  They're evil, malevolent and having a great time.  Or alternatively they try to do good, but they can't escape their own nature.  Or they love you but their idea of love is twisted by their nature.  Something deeply gothic.  That's what I enjoy the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment