Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Transformers

I guess I've been a fan of the Transformers cartoon show since I was 8 or 9 years old.  Back then the struggles between Autobots and Decepticons seemed so complex and important.  And of course I loved all the transforming planes, trains and automobiles (yes, there was a train).  I failed to grasp that no one ever really died and nothing would get resolved.  My favorites were always the Decepticons.  Their internal power struggles fascinated me.

Well, recently I've been watching this stuff again on Hub, which is a channel I get.  And I realized all the science fiction elements that I had missed.  Now, anybody who casually watched the show knows that after the feature film, the story moved into space.  It was almost a different animal at that point.  But I mean even before that.  Different gadgets that they'd invent involving the sun or using highly advanced technology are some examples.  But the better stuff was talking about the ancient past of their robot societies.  Cosmic Rust is a great episode for that.  The Decepticons travel to an abandoned Autobot city and learn of an ancient scourge that destroyed the population.  Really cool stuff.

I've watched the first of the new live-action Transformers movies.  It just didn't do it for me.  Cool action scenes I grant you.  But it was way too much about the humans.  For me it was always about the robots. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment